Join Transition Cowbridge at the Community Growing Project in the Old Hall Grounds.
The Civic Trust and St Aubin’s nursery have given Transition the patch of land between the nursery and the old town wall to design and transform it into an edible landscape.
This is a great opportunity to come share and learn some skills, be active and meet new people!
Our vision for the piece of land is:
- to demonstrate what people can do in their gardens and encourage the public to grow more
- to use the land to actually grow some edibles to benefit the community
- to make use of it as an educational space
In our implementation, we are using Permaculture principles and mainly perennial plants– and if you’d like to find out more, well come along and find out!
We are holding regular growing days – about every 3 weeks. Each growing day will incorporate either the learning of a new skill or some relevant teaching, such as soil-testing, applying no-dig methods, plant knowledge etc.
So far we have assessed the area, designed the plan and held 3 growing days in which we’ve managed to prepare most of the ground for planting, built our dalik-compost, started laying a path through the patch and arranging the seating area.
In the future, we are planning to create signs of the design and plant labels so it becomes obvious to the public what we are doing. Also, we are hoping to organise a living willow structure and fencing course in the near future.
Our next growing day takes place Sunday 5th February - we’ll be putting up some information boards and signage, adding some more raised beds, develop a slug defense system and spend some time on the usual tidying up and weeding. and anyone is welcome to join us – it’s a family event.
We meet at 10:30 and finish when we are tired!
We’d love to see you there!
- waterproof clothes and sturdy footwear
- hand tools, buckets and gardening gloves (if you have them)
- packed lunch and most importantly – flasks of tea and water
- cookies or cakes to share will also surely be most welcome
or call Michaela or Rob on 07712196150